What Is A KASPER Report?

by on March 24, 2010

A criminal defendant in Northern Kentucky may find out the hard way about a KASPER report.  Obviously a take on Casper, the friendly ghost, a KASPER (Kentucky All-Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting) report is a complete list of prescriptions drugs which have been prescribed to an individual.  The KASPER is not generally known and is hidden from public information (ghost-like).  Kentucky law mandates that all prescriptions filled in the Commownealth of Kentucky are reported to KASPER.  A complete list of all medications are kept on every individual.

Generally there are very few who can access a KASPER report.  A treating physician is generally the first to access, especially if you are treating with a pain management specialist.  They routinely check the KASPER report to assure that patients are not receiving narcotic medication from more than one provider.  If found, the doctor may discontinue providing the prescriptions or may turn the information over to the legal authorities.

The following are legally permitted to access a KASPER report:  prescriber for medical treatment of existing or prospective patients, a pharmacist for pharmaceutical treatment, a law enforcement officer with an active investigation, a licensure board for a licensee, Medicaid for a Medicaid recipient, a grand jury by subpoena, and a judge, probation or parole officer administering a drug diversion or probation program.

KASPER reports can assist in providing information for an investigation that may lead to felony criminal charges.  A report may also provide evidence to show proof of obtaining prescriptions by fraud or illegally obtaining prescription drugs. Most prescription drug users are not aware that big brother is watching.  If you purchase prescription drugs in Kentucky, the state maintains a complete list.

If you have been investigated or charged with illegally obtaining or purchasing prescription drugs in Northern Kentucky, contact Michael W. Bouldin at mwboudlin@fuse.net or 859-581-6453.

{ 69 comments… read them below or add one }

Wondering March 18, 2013 at 12:06 am

A friend of mine has been a patient at a pain clinic for years. He claims that he is in moderate to severe pain daily, however, he sells the majority of his medication each month. Recently, the clinic called him in for a pill count, and since he didn’t have any pills left to take in, he just did not go. He understands that he will probably be discharged from the clinic, but is worried about further ramifications. Does he have reason for concern? What is the worst case scenario? Thank you for taking the time to answer.

mbouldin March 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm

The physician will likely discharge him as a patient. It is unlikely that there would be anything further because no law has been broken so there would be no need for the clinic to report to authorities. If anyone asks, he does have the right to remain silent and should exercise that right.

Sharon April 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I recently was discharged from my physician, cause of a Kasper report. I had some wisdom teeth removed, Told the oral surgeon that I was already taking some pain meds for an injury to my back. He told me it was fine that it wasnt the same as I was already taking. In so it was not strong enough. This was in Sept.2012. In Nov of 2012 I signed a contract with my medical dr. Now 7 months later he tells me that he can no longer be my dr. There is a serious drug prob. in our area and I solely understand that, but I have a serious back injury and pain meds are not the only thing he was presbribing me. Help.

mbouldin April 22, 2013 at 9:25 am

This is one such example of how KASPER is failing the patients in Kentucky. It is nearly impossible to have your treating physician notified that you have been prescribed additional medication from the dentist/oral surgeon. I now suggest that if any other doctor prescribes that you write a letter to put in your medical file to your treating physician so that they are officially notified of other medication.

Bonnie May 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I believe in Kasper to A POINT. FIRTST my brother and my ss#’s are only 3#’ oof when I went to see my Dr. He YELLED at me because he thought I was seeing another Dr. GET YOU S—T right. It caused me alot of embarrisment. PLEASE IF YOUR GOING TO DO GET PLEASE!!!! DO IT RIGHT. Now my Brother has totaly been BLACKED BALLED when his pill count was under and one over. HE NEVER WAS GIVEN THE CHANCE TO EVEN SEE A DR. There were six(6) differnet Dr.s names on the Presp. Pad tat the Nurse Practioner walked around with. NOW!!! HOW CAN SHE GET AWAY WITH THAT!!??!! Plus they wrote he had a bad attitude I would to if I couldn’t see a Dr. to explain anything. SO YOU PEOPlE JUST GO BY WHAT EVER A NURSE TELL A DR>????? My Brother has suffered for yrs.s NOW HE’S BLACK BALLED FROM ALL THE DR’S HERE IN BOWLING GREEN KY> HOW CAN THAT BE LEGAL!!!?????

fred hall November 3, 2013 at 12:12 am

Hello, I am hoping this website is still monitored because I really need some advice. my mother in law was a patient at the Suboxone clinic and had been for some time now. She additionally sees her Primary Care Physician for other needs that aren’t related to her addiction recovery. Anyways, her primary doctor wrote her a prescription for 30 hydrocodone tabs due to a hip problem she was having, and told her to fill them. After she did, 12 hours later the doctor calls her back and tells her that she needs to bring the hydrocodone pills back in to his office immediately because he would get in trouble due to her still being a patient at the Suboxone clinic. This was three months ago. He also called her treatment center and she was dismissed from the Suboxone clinic. Now she has decided to pursue treatment again. Today she goes to the Suboxone clinic and the doctor there of course ran a KASPER on her. It came back and all it showed was “Pending” Does anyone have any idea what this means?????

fred hall November 3, 2013 at 12:15 am

I just submitted a question and it didn’t show in the posts above. Do I need to do something else??????????????

mbouldin November 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

The clinic, as well as almost all pain physicians, routinely run KASPER reports on patients to assure that they are not seeking medication from multiple sources. Many Primary Care Physicians also run KASPER reports when they are prescribing narcotic pain medication for their patients. A patient should always tell any prescribing doctor of ALL other medications they are taking or prescribed. “Pending” means that a physician has made an inquiry. The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services monitors the KASPER system. Most physicians will not prescribe if there is anything pending on the KASPER Report. Your mother needs to fully disclose all medications as well as the fact that there has been an inquiry. As a patient at the Suboxone clinic, she is already on the radar as having a drug dependency problem. She very well may have difficulty getting any doctor in Kentucky to prescribe at this point.

mbouldin November 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

Sorry, only shows when I review… which I do pretty regularly. Too much spam shows up if everything posts.

lynn stephens November 15, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Do authorized personal have to have reason to run a Kaspersky report? For instance can a probation or parole or a drug treatment counselor run Kaspersky reports just at random?

mbouldin November 18, 2013 at 8:33 am

A drug treatment counselor or any other medical persons can run KASPER report. In addition, KRS 218A.202 provides that a probation or parole officer administering a diversion or probation program of a criminal defendant arising out of a violation of this chapter or of a criminal defendant who is documented by the court as a substance abuser who is eligible to participate in a court-ordered drug diversion or probation program. Even though your question is somewhat vague, it would appear that the people you have described could legally run KASPER report.

Kay January 12, 2014 at 2:47 am

Got a Question re kasper and patient rights. My son got sick w a chronic disabling illness when he was 30 yrs old, he’s seen same doctor for 8 years now to treat illness with exact same medicine and physical therapy. He used to get drug screened 1 time year per protocol. One test for medicine he prescribed. Now, the office requires testing with every doctor visit, 6 times a year plus now he’s tested for over 7 drugs that he’s never used or prescribed including alcohol. He never even drank it and no history of drug use or abuse.
His insurance now pays about $ 800.00 eight hundred dollars with every office visit for lab test. He was called in for a random pill count within 24 hours which he’s homebound and has to prepare with his home health care aid weeks ahead of time for his dr visits, 6 times a year, which he enjoys getting out, but it does ear him out.but he wants to keep community care. He could get palliative care but wants to keep his same medical team and get outside to be healthy on a very limited basis.
The constant drug testing is difficult to do 6 times a year now and he is responsible financially for copay of labs. When he ask doctor about all the new extensive labs, doctor said it the offices new policy for ALL PATIENTS regardless of RX care.
I personally feel it’s in appropriate and fraud with his additional non necessary labs.
When he asked dr about it, it was implied he would lose his care if h didn’t comply with all the new testing, even if it hurts him physically and financially.
So, now he’s afraid to lose his care. He’s chronically ill, disabled and homebound except doctor visits only. The office has been expanded with new buildings lab center etc…does he have any rights for refusing labs not associated with HIS care and do less often due to pain. ? Any suggestions or readings to help ? Thank you…

mbouldin January 12, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Send your story to state legislators and consider a new doctor if they insist on this new policy. Id also talk to insurance company of testing abuse.

Annonymous January 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

I have had the same Dr for 26 years. I have rheumatoid arthritis as well has back/disc issues from numerous car accidents. My primary physician had been prescribing pain meds for a few years. I do not take everyday only as needed. I went in for a yearly checkup in june, he did blood work and asked when the last time i had taken the medication for pain. I advised it had been a week as my prescription needed a refill and I had to see him to get the refill. My blood work tested negative and 3 months later I was dismissed from the practice do to a KASPER violation. Is this automatically put on my KASPER report or is this just reported within the practice. I have to find a new Primary Care Doc and I do not know if this is on my KASPER record…

mbouldin January 15, 2014 at 10:26 am

The physician generally does report to KASPER any violations. You should explain to the new PCP that they said violations due to underusing the Rx. It should be prescribed on a PRN basis instead of x times/day.

Karen Moore January 30, 2014 at 12:22 am

When Ky gets a new Governor, can the new Governor thow out this stupid Kasper Law??

Michael Bouldin January 30, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Governor can execute Executive Orders, however it would take act of state to rescind KASPER. Contact your local state senator.

Robert A Adcock April 6, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I will state simply this. KASPER have overstepped it’s constitutional boundaries. They have thrown away due process, invaded the privacy of the individual, removed the citizens right from unresasonble search and seizure, negated the right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness, created poor pcp care or special licensed care due to fear, they require Drs to be policemen to assist law enforcement to catch criminals and have unleashed a whole host of unintended consequences. The State does not have the right to know what my physician prescribes to me, the State does not have the right to track me, the pharmacist has no right to refuse filling Rx’s written by a different practitioner for a different procedure even if is for the same med. The State does not have the right to urine test me for illicit substances simply because I take 5/350 hydro-codone. I have no police record!It’s obvious to me that the constitutional rights of the people are being overtaken by a zealous Police State. I could go on, but all this chaos just to control junkies and trafficking criminals will not resolve one that matter one whit! Only the innocent will suffer. Any infringement on freedom will result in anarchy! May the Most High have mercy on all of us, especially the foolish politician.

Michael Bouldin April 7, 2014 at 11:55 am

I strongly encourage you to forward your legitimate concerns as well as your specific story to your congressmen both in state and US senate and house of representatives. Only through legislation can positive changes result.