NKY CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER Criminal Defense For Northern Kentucky & Cincinnati………………… THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT

March 24, 2010

What Is A KASPER Report?

Filed under: General Criminal Law Issues - Northern KY — @ 3:10 pm

A criminal defendant in Northern Kentucky may find out the hard way about a KASPER report.  Obviously a take on Casper, the friendly ghost, a KASPER (Kentucky All-Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting) report is a complete list of prescriptions drugs which have been prescribed to an individual.  The KASPER is not generally known and is hidden from public information (ghost-like).  Kentucky law mandates that all prescriptions filled in the Commownealth of Kentucky are reported to KASPER.  A complete list of all medications are kept on every individual.

Generally there are very few who can access a KASPER report.  A treating physician is generally the first to access, especially if you are treating with a pain management specialist.  They routinely check the KASPER report to assure that patients are not receiving narcotic medication from more than one provider.  If found, the doctor may discontinue providing the prescriptions or may turn the information over to the legal authorities.

The following are legally permitted to access a KASPER report:  prescriber for medical treatment of existing or prospective patients, a pharmacist for pharmaceutical treatment, a law enforcement officer with an active investigation, a licensure board for a licensee, Medicaid for a Medicaid recipient, a grand jury by subpoena, and a judge, probation or parole officer administering a drug diversion or probation program.

KASPER reports can assist in providing information for an investigation that may lead to felony criminal charges.  A report may also provide evidence to show proof of obtaining prescriptions by fraud or illegally obtaining prescription drugs. Most prescription drug users are not aware that big brother is watching.  If you purchase prescription drugs in Kentucky, the state maintains a complete list.

If you have been investigated or charged with illegally obtaining or purchasing prescription drugs in Northern Kentucky, contact Michael W. Bouldin at mwboudlin@fuse.net or 859-581-6453.

88 Comments »

1. If you know of someone that is taking someone eles pain medicine is there anything that you can do about it. Is it an illegal thing to do?

Comment by Vicki — April 22, 2010 @ 6:14 am

2. Yes, taking someone else’s medication is illegal. Obviously the patient should be made aware if they do not already know. You can also report them to the police or call the physician and advise them. In Kentucky, you do not have any affirmative duty to inform the authorities.

Comment by mbouldin — May 7, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

3. I have been asked by docters why i am on the kasper list. I do not know what to tell them. I have made inquires but all I am told is it does not matter why. Can I know why I,m on this list. I vagly remeber being force to go to a judge chamber when I was incararated in lake clumberland boys camp. back in 1980. I believe their was a person who knew a person who worked for a judge. this all was a christian assocation. I was sexaly abused by the cooks son a guard at lcbc. this was done in retalation for complaining about abuse. I believe he was caught in the act sometime after i had been let go. but I do not rember what was put for the reason of this opression

Comment by Phillip Howard — June 3, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

4. I don’t exactly understand the question. Everyone who obtains prescription drugs in Kentukcy is on the KASPER list. If physicians are questioning, you may be flagged on this list. It would not have anything to do with being abused as a child. This is strictly a way for the government to track your prescription medications so that doctors can assure that you are not “pill shopping.”

Comment by mbouldin — June 11, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

5. My husband has several bulging and herniated discs in his back and has been waiting for several months to see someone who deals with pain management. He was once addicted to Oxycontin, and entered into a Suboxone Treatment program. Now his addiction is under control, and he hasn’t taken Suboxone in over a year. However, most pain management doctors won’t even talk to you if you’ve ever undergone treatment through Suboxone or Methadone apparently. How far back can a Kasper report go. I think that most physicians run up to a year on new patients, but I’m curious to know if they can go back further than that. He has been turned away from 2 places because he took the Suboxone. Now that it’s been more than 1 year, can they still access that information and use it to refuse treatment for pain? He has documented proof of his injuries through MRI’s and X-rays performed very recently. He has an appointment with another doctor coming up, and I don’t want to see him get turned away again over this. I’m just wondering what he should expect.

Comment by concernedwife — June 30, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

6. I believe that they are in place forever. The law is unclear on length of time that KASPER keeps these records.

Comment by mbouldin — July 12, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

7. I am seeking legal advice pertaining to a KASPER report that was handed out in my county and prevented me from a possible law enforcement position. The policeman obtained the Kasper by issuing a false case number and another person. What legal action is allowed? My problem is the attourneys in my area are not familiar with Kasper. My mother who is a nurse practitioner in KY told me to take legal action against the police dept. I am very appreciative of any advice you might give. Thanks.

Comment by Deene — July 14, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

8. There are ramifications, including criminal action for illegally obtaining a KASPER report. You could ask the county/commonwealth attorney to investigate. You might also have a civil cause of action for (1) invasion of privacy; (2) illegally obtaining report; and/or (3) some employment law violation. I do not practice employment law but would seek advise from an attorney specializing in that area.

Comment by mbouldin — July 19, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

9. It is criminal for someone to improperly order a KASPER and you should first talk to the county attorney.

Comment by mbouldin — August 8, 2010 @ 11:13 am

10. how can a person find out who has checked their kasper report? does it make any difference about the amount of inquires?

Comment by shawn mccormack — October 28, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

11. I believe that it is discoverable using subpoena if there is a case pending. There is no way to ask and find out who has checked. The amount of inquiries is irrelevant to any situation, litigation or investigation. If you are criminally charged due to an investigation, there may be suppression issues relevant to the number of inquiries and the completeness and method of investigation. Many physicians that treat patients with serious pain issues check their patients monthly, quarterly or at least annually.

Comment by mbouldin — October 29, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

12. In Kentucky, can an investgator obtain a KASPER solely based on a tip?

Comment by Jennifer — December 21, 2010 @ 2:52 am

13. Generally, yes. Obtaining a KASPER report does not have the same standard as a getting a search warrant. There is no judicial oversight to the request for a KASPER report.

Comment by mbouldin — December 31, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

14. who was the creator of Kasper. I think Kasper is a much needed informational program for doctors to help keep track of patients who doctor shop.

Comment by just wondering — March 2, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

15. Kasper is Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting. It is run by the Inspector General and under the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. You are correct as that is one of it’s primary intended uses. Most doctors who specialize in pain management routinely run KASPER reports on their patients. When treating with a pain management specialist, the patient will generally be required to sign agreement that they will not obtain pain medication from any other doctor. Some doctors simply discharge patients who violate while others may report criminal activity to the authorities.

Comment by mbouldin — March 4, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

16. So long as you make both doctors aware of the other there should be no problems.

Comment by mbouldin — March 23, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

17. With all the legislation was no time element establised in regards to how long pharmacy’s retain their records? I know of someone who has had difficulty for simply using another pharmacy because the primary pharmacy closes at 6:00pm, and this individual utilized a pharmacy that was open. The doctor appointment was late in the day and the patient did not have time to use the pharmacy he had signed documentation stating this was the only store he would purchase medication. My mother had to sign a similiar document and I added a secondary back up. Why are patients denied access to see their records in the event of errors. What happened to patient rights??? I recently completed pages of documents for my 85 year old mother and the document for patient rights was an insult. It made me angry, they stated her rights in one section but, at the end they took her rights away stating it was at their discretion. Insulting……

Was anyone in Ky legislature reading what they were signing or like Washingtion sign and have no idea the reprecustions for innocent elderly, or non elderly patients. Patients who are not drug dealers, patients who cannot live without relief from the pain they live with 24 hours a day. God help them if they should become so ill. I watched a family member suffer with cancer while given five 500mg lortabs. Are these doctors scared? Haven’t they been trained enough to know who is sick and who is not sick. Do doctors read MRI’s, Cat Scans, X-Rays, no they read a report. Radiologists report spinal chips, spurs etc., yet the patients are belittled as pill seekers. They are sent to suffer and die.

Comment by donna — May 5, 2011 @ 1:43 am

18. mbouldin you seem to be quite knowledgeable. You stated you believe the records are basically forever, that our law is unclear. I remember when obtaining a credit report was close to impossible. Our legislators have tried to stop drug abuse but, in doing so have violated our Constitutional Rights. In the event a patient is told they are no longer allowed to utilize a clinic or doctor should they not have the right to see the basis of that decision? Would you want to know? Someone could easily fall into the Kasper trap and not realize they have broken any law. Elderly have a very difficult time tracking medications. Some home bound cannot properly take medications. I am shocked that more are not shocked but, I predict that as time passes and more and more innocent people are booted from their physicians their will be a public outcry. This was sold to the general public under false pretenses.

Comment by donna — May 5, 2011 @ 1:57 am

19. It is getting more and more difficult for people with chronic pain to get help to relieve this pain. It is also allowing law enforcement to target certain doctors. While there are always some wrongdoers, the physicians at pain clinics and those that regularly see patients with chronic pain are rightfully afraid. I personally have seen physicians whom I believe were targets for one reason or another charged with various state and federal crimes.

Comment by mbouldin — May 5, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

20. This is not only an elderly problem but for many patients. I have seen a Judge in Family Court run KASPER reports to determine if a witness is lying and/or if a parent should be given custody. This is obviously not the original intent. I have also witnessed law enforcement use this to attempt to gain information on a fellow officer with whom they had a beef. With the great access, the information is ripe for abuses.

Comment by mbouldin — May 5, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

21. I had the same problem with a doctor but I have NEVER EVEN HEARD OF KASPER. I have chronic pain and need surgery, my family Dr. could not see me for 6 week’s out, I needed help then ! Not 6 week’s from then. I went to my bone Dr. that had had done 3 surgeries on me, gave me a perscpritipn of steroids’ and told me to add 5mg. to the 10mg. of percecete that I have been on for year’s. ALL I DID IS WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO AND I WAS DISMISSED FROM A DR. THAT I HAD HAD FOR ABOUT 10 YEAR’S THIS WAS NOT RIGHT OR FAIR, THEN TO TOP IT OFF, HE WOULD NOT EVEN RECOMMEND ME TO ANY ONE TO GET HELP WITH MY CHRONIC PAIN. SOME OF THESE DOCTOR’S THINK AND PLAY GOD AND THEY ARE NOT AND PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING DUE TO THEIR ACTION’S NOT ALWAYS THE PATIENT’S. IT IS 4:45 IN THE MORNING AND I AM UP DUE TO NOTHING BUT THE PAIN I AM IN.

Comment by cowgirl — August 1, 2011 @ 4:54 am

22. I have a mother with Rumatiod Arthuritis and lupus. She has chronic pain. She was seeing a pain management specialist who was keeping her pain under control with pain medication. However, my sister was getting medication filled in my mother’s name without her knowledge. My mother’s physician ran a KASPER report and discharged my mother. My question is…. if my mother can get into any kind of legal trouble over this. Also, can my sister go to jail over this despite if my mother presses charges or not?

Comment by Concerned Daughter — August 5, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

23. Your mother should not but your sister very well could get into trouble. Your mother may have to report the stolen in order to get more. It is somewhat unlikely that the authorities will know anything about your sister’s illegal behavior without a report.

Comment by mbouldin — August 12, 2011 @ 11:24 am

24. I’ve heard similar stories over and over.

Comment by mbouldin — August 12, 2011 @ 11:26 am

25. I would like to know if there is anything I can do about a predicament I am in. I have suffered from chronic pain for many years. I multiple herniated discs in my spine, among many other musculoskeletal issues and neuromuscular diseases. Three of the most painful I have are fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and chronic pain syndrome. I was being treated by a pain management/fibromyalgia specialist and I signed his waiver that I would not see any other physician for narcotic pain medication, etc. However, I became very ill and became suicidal and had to be placed in a psychiatric hospital. While I was in the psychiatric hospital the pain management physician called me for a “pill count”, which I could not make for obvious reasons. I was also written a rx for pain medication by the attending psychiatrist while I was in the hospital because I was in severe pain while in the hospital. I did not ask for this, I was not in my correct state of mind and at the time did not understand the repercussions of what was going to happen. After my release from the hospital several weeks later I received a letter from my pain management doctor stating that I was no longer a pateint of his because I violated his narcotic rules. I also am not able to see another physician because this incident was put on my KASPER report and no other pain manangement specialist will see me. Is there anything that I can do about this? I was not at fault, but I am being treated as if I am a drug addict when I attempt to see another pain specialist….I am in severe constant pain…and I am unable to obtain any narcotic rx now. Is there any advice you can give me??? Thanks so much.

Comment by Victim of KASPER — December 10, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

26. You’re in a very precarious predicament. Pain doctors have the right to refuse to treat any patient. They are generally very afraid of being indicted for being a pill dispensary. Your best bet may be to seek a physician out of the state. The other best option is to have your psychiatrist recommend a pain doctor and ask that they communicate the problems you have had in the past.

Comment by mbouldin — December 14, 2011 @ 11:30 am

27. Thank you very much. I appreciate the insight. I have a new pain management/fibromyalgia specialist in mind and I think it would be a great idea to have my Psychiatrist speak with him before I try to make an appt. He could give him some good insight into the problems that I have had as well because he has been seeing me for a numbe of years and is familiar with all of my medical history. Thanks again so much for your advice!!!!!

Comment by Victim of KASPER — December 20, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

28. I am doing some research for one of the physicians in my office so i hope this is still a site that gets checked. I have contacted KASPER to ask this question and did not get a straight answer. The physician I work with recieved information about KASPER saying he needed to enroll in it. He is an out of state dr and the only DEA license he has is in Florida. does he need to enroll in KASPER?

Comment by Question out of State DR — July 2, 2012 @ 9:10 am

29. KASPER is not federal law, only Kentucky. I suspect s national dabase will be instituted in next few years, but not yet.

Comment by mbouldin — July 2, 2012 @ 10:33 am

30. All the Kasper law will do is force prescription addicted addicts to use street drugs such as heroin. If they can’t get their pills legally, they will do it illegally and will only make their problem worse. Whoever thought of this didn’t take that into consideration.

Comment by ella — July 8, 2012 @ 1:29 am

31. Be sure to send these type of comments to your Senator and Congressman. It is easy and popular to be tough on crime and for reporting, but Congress seldom thinks through the practical ramifications of such leglislation. Both of these policies create new and additional drug problems, and both are very expensive to implement. The cost of tough on crime includes: additional police officers, jails, jailers, courts, public defenders, and prosecutors. It also assures that these newly created criminals have little chance of getting a job and becoming productive. Any type of reporting, whether prescription, over-the-counter drugs or sex offenders creates a great deal of additional government. Someone has to compile the data, someone has to make it available and then someone has to determine how it is used and who has access. I’m not ashamed that I am anti Big Government. The government is ill equipped to handle this type of data and even less equipped on what to do with it. Pain management physicians often refuse to treat very sick people for fear of being criminally charged if KASPER reports them as a problem.

Comment by mbouldin — July 9, 2012 @ 10:38 am

32. I cant sell my tabs anymore because of KASPER. I used to go all over town to beg doctors for Lortab and since KASPER came along I cant get them more than once a month. Can you go out of state for a pain management doctor? Lortab was my main source of income

Comment by Chris Wthepillhead — September 12, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

33. Evidently KASPER is saving you from yourself. You are committing a felony by seeking the pills and another for trafficking (selling) the pills. That is one of the primary reasons KASPER was invented.

Comment by mbouldin — September 18, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

34. i was wondering how the passage of this new law negates my 4th ammendment rights by allowing my doctor to perform drug testing without my knowledge or consent?

Comment by joe crick — October 10, 2012 @ 10:56 am

35. The doctor still does not have the right to test without your knowledge and consent. He does have the right to view your medication history prior to prescribing. How they get around the drug testing is to have you sign your consent and then only prescribe if you agree to their terms, which includes testing.

Comment by mbouldin — October 11, 2012 @ 10:14 am

36. i signed no such document and this doctor has only been on my case for a few months.my old doctor quit family practice and refered me to her.she is from poland and i don’t think she grasps the concepts of civil rights in the u.s.
    so when i took my drug test i stayed off my meds for a few days prior to it (as i do every 3 months or so to decrease the toxins in my system because my liver is bypassed surgically)so now the problem is i don’t have any drugs in my system,they are prescribed prn(as needed)but she says i should stay on them for kasper.so now isuppose i should take my narcotics whether i need them or not at any given time.trover clinic has had several doctors indited for prescription abuse and i believe a few of them owned a pharmacy as well to facillitate distribution.
    so should i find a new pcp at a clinic that isn’t so hot?my current pcp is an intern by the way.and should i sue for my 4th ammendment rights or would that only aggravate the situation.my old pcp is the one that suggested marijuana for a multitude of symptoms i presented to him,possibly another reason he quit the clinic? thank you so much for your response.

Comment by joe crick — October 26, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

37. My medications were to be refiled 10/26/2012 I have been seen by Dr. #1 and he stopped his doctor office. I had to find someone to take over my medications, so I asked a Dr. #2. I have been going to Doc. #1 for 15 years after I broke my back. I also have heart, tumors in my legs, the had to remove my Thyroid”s removed and when they took them out in order to get my medications correct. 15 years later, still not right. I have been on 66 MCG to 400 MCG a day and I broke my back at work. I have pinc rods and wires in my back I have to take 8 medications for my heart. Like I say I went to Doc #1 15 years when he closed. When I went to Doctor #2 they messed up and did not read my heart. Now, with out seeing my doctor all I have seen is his NP. I called and told me to pick up my prescriptions to get filled. When I got there I had a note that he would no longer treat me so thanks KASPER. I guess KASPER will be the death of me. I hope the dumb ass people that did this to me gets the same thing done to them.

Comment by Gary — October 26, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

38. There is a LAW in the state and the whole USA called HIPPA that prevents disclosure of information to anyone but the person who has been designated by te patient and his/her doctor. KASPER breaks this Federal Law.by saying they can obtain a person’s medical records. The errors should be aptly read above.

I am so for treatment of addicts, however making Doctors (except for PILL MILL Docs) nd pharmacists act as a SWAT team is time consuming, inaccurate to say the least, and unlawful. I hope the FDA comes down soon. There needs to be REGULATION of Kasper just like other organizations.

I have and have had back pain, for six years and I am sixty six, with diabetes and a heart Surgery and have aa pinched nerve.in my back. Humana of course will not pay for any type of surgery. Due to the surgery and the need to take warafin I cannot use any aspirin products or Aleve or Ibuprofin. Went to a Chiropracter, finally discovered by a simple X ray by my Chiropracter. I went to him in Depsperation. I could not live a productive life after noon with the chronic pain. Do’t tell me to research other methods, I have had massages, Shots in the back, TENS, etc etc. All I need is two hydrocodone pills a day to function and to sleep. My doctor is a highly respected member of a huge medical facilty in Louisville. Even he is disgusted. I may add that there is an article if you can get thru the KASPER websites which details a group of Doctors who are ganging up against the KASPER report. Good for them. In the meantime, black tar heroin, illegal meth and 100% moonshine increase exponentialy and will continue to increase.
    In the artical one congressman did not know what KASPER meant and another stated” Well of course if it is controlled we won’t let it be prescribed to anyone” And these are the people who make the laws??? Kentucky has been long known for extra Oxy use however I don’t see anywhere that Oxycodne
    is restricted like Hydrocodone. Well, when I go back to Doc, I will ask for a prescripion for either Tramadol (Not controlled in all states but KY and Alabama) or Tylenol 3 which my family took for YEARS and YEARS and was prerecribed carefully by our PCP. As I said, this law is unconstitutional and must not be used to obtain a person’s personal medical file except in cases where heavy use of opiates is prescribed. I predict that after three years it wil go the way of other inefficient and unreasearched laws. NO ONE has a right to your medical records in order to give the KY SWAT another reasonto spend our tax money.

Comment by Chaos — November 6, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

39. This Kasper law is absolutely ridiculous ! My husband and worked for a major airlines for over 20 years and HAD to do drug testing to keep our jobs. Understandable since we were responsible for other people’s lives. My husband was refilling our prescriptions, and the next thing he knew , he was being called in for a drug test! He has been prescribed this from his doctor. This is not fair to be listed because a small percentage of people are doctor shopping. Let the doctors practice without judgement or fines. It’s an insult to them and their nurses!

Comment by Bernadette Oetting — December 1, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

40. You may question who called him in for drug test. Only physicians have the right to review the KASPER report in addition to law enforcement; then only in the case where they are investigating. He company should not have any access to KASPER information.

Comment by mbouldin — December 3, 2012 @ 8:12 am

41. My doctor brought me in to sign the KY kasper form.. I haven’t been in the office in 8 months or more. I have no health insurance.. Next thing I know they have me with a guy who can hardly speak english wanting me to pee in a cup.
    15 seconds before he hands me the plastic cup he informs me that it is going to cost me 115 dollars for the test…. I was in shock!
    Doesn’t someone have to give me access to the price or disclose the price in a reasonable amount of time so I can decide if I want to spend that kind of money or not,, I feel like I have no time to decide if I want to or not,,
    Where are my rights? Doesn’t a medical office have to disclose prices so that I can decide for myself what i want taken from my wallet

Comment by Dan — December 18, 2012 @ 7:31 am

42. I would refuse to pay and seek another physician.

Comment by mbouldin — December 20, 2012 @ 11:14 am

43. If you are seeing a pain specialist and you have a tooth that has broken and can not get into your dentist until after the first of the year, but your mouth hurts so bad into your jaw bone and ear cannal and your denist tells you to go to the ER to have them asses it until you get into the office should you go to the ER or just try and tough it out??

Comment by Questions — December 28, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

44. Get medical treatment. The pain pills will be reported, but if it is legitimate and you are not on other pain medication, it should not affect you with other doctors. Make sure to tell all physicians and dentists of any medication.

Comment by mbouldin — January 2, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

45. My issue with kasper is that there is no way to take erroneous information off of a report. My husband takes ambien when we took the prescription to kroger we filled it on Oct 1 on Nov 1 kroger auto refilled it without us knowing now we didn’t need the next refill until Nov 5 when we went to get it we were told it had already been filled for that month (no it had not) finally after a lot of arguing and calling our insurance kroger said they straightened it out so we got the script on Nov 5 each month the same thing happens the problem is when kroger first fills the script they report it it to kasper even though we didn’t pick it up then when we do go get it they report it again so now it looks like we are picking up the script twice a month which is false when I have inquired as to how to fix this I can’t get a straight answer

Comment by Tabbikat — January 8, 2013 @ 12:17 am

46. You need to speak with Kroger. They should not auto refill.

Comment by mbouldin — January 10, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

47. I have chronic major depression with anxiety disorder. I am on Paxil, topomax, and Ativan – of which Ativan is the only controlled substance. I am not on any kind of pain medication. I am 64 years old and have been taking 3 – 1mg tablets of Ativan for the past 24 years – now all of a sudden because of Kasper – my psychiatrist wants to cut that in half. My anxiety is over the moon (we have sort of a family history on my Mom’s side). Does Kasper determine the dosage that you take or does your doctor still get to do that??? Is my doctor still interested in my well being or his own?? I think that with Kasper they went from one EXTREME to the OTHER . For we the people who take our meds and try to live by the rules – we are getting kicked in the teeth for this and guess what – the people who went outside the law to get their drugs – they still will!!!

Comment by BJ — February 14, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

48. The doctor still determines dosage. Many doctors are running scared in fear that they will be prosecuted as a “pill mill.” As such, they refuse treatment for some individuals, cut dosages for others and do not prescribe controlled substances at times when they are warranted. Based on what you have said, it seems that your doctor is more concerned for himself than in treating you if the only reason he has reduced your dosage is because of KASPER. I would schedule a meeting and ask that he refer you to someone else if he is afraid to prescribe a proper dosage.

Comment by mbouldin — February 14, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

49. A former coworker has suspicion that a Kasper was ran on her before her termination from the company. She was never a patient of record. Is there a way to prove the Kasper was ran by that dental provider?

Comment by Mandy — March 9, 2013 @ 12:31 am

50. You can contact Kentucky CHFS and inquire. More information on KASPER can be found at http://www.chfs.ky.gov/os/oig/KASPER.htm .

Comment by mbouldin — March 10, 2013 @ 9:35 am

51. A friend of mine has been a patient at a pain clinic for years. He claims that he is in moderate to severe pain daily, however, he sells the majority of his medication each month. Recently, the clinic called him in for a pill count, and since he didn’t have any pills left to take in, he just did not go. He understands that he will probably be discharged from the clinic, but is worried about further ramifications. Does he have reason for concern? What is the worst case scenario? Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Comment by Wondering — March 18, 2013 @ 12:06 am

52. The physician will likely discharge him as a patient. It is unlikely that there would be anything further because no law has been broken so there would be no need for the clinic to report to authorities. If anyone asks, he does have the right to remain silent and should exercise that right.

Comment by mbouldin — March 22, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

53. I recently was discharged from my physician, cause of a Kasper report. I had some wisdom teeth removed, Told the oral surgeon that I was already taking some pain meds for an injury to my back. He told me it was fine that it wasnt the same as I was already taking. In so it was not strong enough. This was in Sept.2012. In Nov of 2012 I signed a contract with my medical dr. Now 7 months later he tells me that he can no longer be my dr. There is a serious drug prob. in our area and I solely understand that, but I have a serious back injury and pain meds are not the only thing he was presbribing me. Help.

Comment by Sharon — April 17, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

54. This is one such example of how KASPER is failing the patients in Kentucky. It is nearly impossible to have your treating physician notified that you have been prescribed additional medication from the dentist/oral surgeon. I now suggest that if any other doctor prescribes that you write a letter to put in your medical file to your treating physician so that they are officially notified of other medication.

Comment by mbouldin — April 22, 2013 @ 9:25 am

55. I believe in Kasper to A POINT. FIRTST my brother and my ss#’s are only 3#’ oof when I went to see my Dr. He YELLED at me because he thought I was seeing another Dr. GET YOU S—T right. It caused me alot of embarrisment. PLEASE IF YOUR GOING TO DO GET PLEASE!!!! DO IT RIGHT. Now my Brother has totaly been BLACKED BALLED when his pill count was under and one over. HE NEVER WAS GIVEN THE CHANCE TO EVEN SEE A DR. There were six(6) differnet Dr.s names on the Presp. Pad tat the Nurse Practioner walked around with. NOW!!! HOW CAN SHE GET AWAY WITH THAT!!??!! Plus they wrote he had a bad attitude I would to if I couldn’t see a Dr. to explain anything. SO YOU PEOPlE JUST GO BY WHAT EVER A NURSE TELL A DR>????? My Brother has suffered for yrs.s NOW HE’S BLACK BALLED FROM ALL THE DR’S HERE IN BOWLING GREEN KY> HOW CAN THAT BE LEGAL!!!?????

Comment by Bonnie — May 15, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

56. Hello, I am hoping this website is still monitored because I really need some advice. my mother in law was a patient at the Suboxone clinic and had been for some time now. She additionally sees her Primary Care Physician for other needs that aren’t related to her addiction recovery. Anyways, her primary doctor wrote her a prescription for 30 hydrocodone tabs due to a hip problem she was having, and told her to fill them. After she did, 12 hours later the doctor calls her back and tells her that she needs to bring the hydrocodone pills back in to his office immediately because he would get in trouble due to her still being a patient at the Suboxone clinic. This was three months ago. He also called her treatment center and she was dismissed from the Suboxone clinic. Now she has decided to pursue treatment again. Today she goes to the Suboxone clinic and the doctor there of course ran a KASPER on her. It came back and all it showed was “Pending” Does anyone have any idea what this means?????

Comment by fred hall — November 3, 2013 @ 12:12 am

57. I just submitted a question and it didn’t show in the posts above. Do I need to do something else??????????????

Comment by fred hall — November 3, 2013 @ 12:15 am

58. The clinic, as well as almost all pain physicians, routinely run KASPER reports on patients to assure that they are not seeking medication from multiple sources. Many Primary Care Physicians also run KASPER reports when they are prescribing narcotic pain medication for their patients. A patient should always tell any prescribing doctor of ALL other medications they are taking or prescribed. “Pending” means that a physician has made an inquiry. The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services monitors the KASPER system. Most physicians will not prescribe if there is anything pending on the KASPER Report. Your mother needs to fully disclose all medications as well as the fact that there has been an inquiry. As a patient at the Suboxone clinic, she is already on the radar as having a drug dependency problem. She very well may have difficulty getting any doctor in Kentucky to prescribe at this point.

Comment by mbouldin — November 4, 2013 @ 8:31 am

59. Sorry, only shows when I review… which I do pretty regularly. Too much spam shows up if everything posts.

Comment by mbouldin — November 4, 2013 @ 8:32 am

60. Do authorized personal have to have reason to run a Kaspersky report? For instance can a probation or parole or a drug treatment counselor run Kaspersky reports just at random?

Comment by lynn stephens — November 15, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

61. A drug treatment counselor or any other medical persons can run KASPER report. In addition, KRS 218A.202 provides that a probation or parole officer administering a diversion or probation program of a criminal defendant arising out of a violation of this chapter or of a criminal defendant who is documented by the court as a substance abuser who is eligible to participate in a court-ordered drug diversion or probation program. Even though your question is somewhat vague, it would appear that the people you have described could legally run KASPER report.

Comment by mbouldin — November 18, 2013 @ 8:33 am

62. Got a Question re kasper and patient rights. My son got sick w a chronic disabling illness when he was 30 yrs old, he’s seen same doctor for 8 years now to treat illness with exact same medicine and physical therapy. He used to get drug screened 1 time year per protocol. One test for medicine he prescribed. Now, the office requires testing with every doctor visit, 6 times a year plus now he’s tested for over 7 drugs that he’s never used or prescribed including alcohol. He never even drank it and no history of drug use or abuse.
    His insurance now pays about $ 800.00 eight hundred dollars with every office visit for lab test. He was called in for a random pill count within 24 hours which he’s homebound and has to prepare with his home health care aid weeks ahead of time for his dr visits, 6 times a year, which he enjoys getting out, but it does ear him out.but he wants to keep community care. He could get palliative care but wants to keep his same medical team and get outside to be healthy on a very limited basis.
    The constant drug testing is difficult to do 6 times a year now and he is responsible financially for copay of labs. When he ask doctor about all the new extensive labs, doctor said it the offices new policy for ALL PATIENTS regardless of RX care.
    I personally feel it’s in appropriate and fraud with his additional non necessary labs.
    When he asked dr about it, it was implied he would lose his care if h didn’t comply with all the new testing, even if it hurts him physically and financially.
    So, now he’s afraid to lose his care. He’s chronically ill, disabled and homebound except doctor visits only. The office has been expanded with new buildings lab center etc…does he have any rights for refusing labs not associated with HIS care and do less often due to pain. ? Any suggestions or readings to help ? Thank you…

Comment by Kay — January 12, 2014 @ 2:47 am

63. Send your story to state legislators and consider a new doctor if they insist on this new policy. Id also talk to insurance company of testing abuse.

Comment by mbouldin — January 12, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

64. I have had the same Dr for 26 years. I have rheumatoid arthritis as well has back/disc issues from numerous car accidents. My primary physician had been prescribing pain meds for a few years. I do not take everyday only as needed. I went in for a yearly checkup in june, he did blood work and asked when the last time i had taken the medication for pain. I advised it had been a week as my prescription needed a refill and I had to see him to get the refill. My blood work tested negative and 3 months later I was dismissed from the practice do to a KASPER violation. Is this automatically put on my KASPER report or is this just reported within the practice. I have to find a new Primary Care Doc and I do not know if this is on my KASPER record…

Comment by Annonymous — January 14, 2014 @ 11:22 am

65. The physician generally does report to KASPER any violations. You should explain to the new PCP that they said violations due to underusing the Rx. It should be prescribed on a PRN basis instead of x times/day.

Comment by mbouldin — January 15, 2014 @ 10:26 am

66. When Ky gets a new Governor, can the new Governor thow out this stupid Kasper Law??

Comment by Karen Moore — January 30, 2014 @ 12:22 am

67. Governor can execute Executive Orders, however it would take act of state to rescind KASPER. Contact your local state senator.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — January 30, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

68. I will state simply this. KASPER have overstepped it’s constitutional boundaries. They have thrown away due process, invaded the privacy of the individual, removed the citizens right from unresasonble search and seizure, negated the right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness, created poor pcp care or special licensed care due to fear, they require Drs to be policemen to assist law enforcement to catch criminals and have unleashed a whole host of unintended consequences. The State does not have the right to know what my physician prescribes to me, the State does not have the right to track me, the pharmacist has no right to refuse filling Rx’s written by a different practitioner for a different procedure even if is for the same med. The State does not have the right to urine test me for illicit substances simply because I take 5/350 hydro-codone. I have no police record!It’s obvious to me that the constitutional rights of the people are being overtaken by a zealous Police State. I could go on, but all this chaos just to control junkies and trafficking criminals will not resolve one that matter one whit! Only the innocent will suffer. Any infringement on freedom will result in anarchy! May the Most High have mercy on all of us, especially the foolish politician.

Comment by Robert A Adcock — April 6, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

69. I strongly encourage you to forward your legitimate concerns as well as your specific story to your congressmen both in state and US senate and house of representatives. Only through legislation can positive changes result.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — April 7, 2014 @ 11:55 am

70. I was seeing a local family dr. I have Fibromyalgia and MS. He had me on Xanax and Hydro 10’s for 3 yrs.
    I asked about Lyrica and was told my insurance wouldn’t pay for it, but I told them I would pay out of pocket because I wanted off the pain meds.
    I found the best price for my lyrica which happened to be a different pharmacy than my normal one.
    When I went back to the dr 3 months later I was told he could no longer see me because I had been pharmacy shopping!!
    I only had my lyrica filled at the cheaper pharmacy and always paid cash for it. Which was almost $400 a month. While the other pharmacy did all of my other meds with my insurance.
    I was told that the dr was turning it over to the police and to Kasper. This was almost a year ago. I haven’t heard anything come of it.
    But I am still with out any of my meds and my whole life has pretty much stopped because of my symptoms.
    Is there anything I can do?
    I’m afraid to try another Dr , I don’t want them to think in a pill head if there is something on my kasper!

Comment by Brandy G — April 22, 2014 @ 9:57 am

71. Your doctor sounds like an idiot. This is an unfortunate problem in that may doctors are running scared. I would schedule another meeting with him and explain the situation. If this has been tried, schedule with a new doctor and tell him the problem. It is a good idea to write it out so that they can more easily document the file. In reality, there is no such thing as “Pharmacy Shopping” since you need a prescription to get the medication. If you are “doctor shopping” many people have the different doctors Rx filled at different pharmacies; this is very different. If you only saw one doctor, you are not “shopping.”

Comment by Michael Bouldin — April 22, 2014 @ 10:12 am

72. Yes he was the only dr I had been seeing. He walked in the room and said what he had to say and walked out. Wouldn’t let me talk at all. He already had my file ready for me to go and everything. I tried to get another appt to talk to him and was told to not even step foot in the office.
    It freaked me out.
    My husband still sees him and I won’t go with him to an appointment because I don’t want my hubby dropped as a paitent either.
    There aren’t any drs who take my insurance within a reasonable distance that are taking new patients at this time. So for now I wait.
    What is your stance/thoughts on medical Cannibis ?
    This is something I have been looking into for a form of pain relief .

Comment by Brandy G — April 22, 2014 @ 10:25 am

73. Best wishes seeking a new physician. Medical cannabis is still illegal in Kentucky. You would need to move to a different state in order to receive a prescription and legally utilize it. There has been a bill (SB124) for Medical marijuana oil which has passed the Senate but not yet been approved by the House in Kentucky. Unfortunately, the current bill is limited to State Research Hospitals and doctors who prescribe therein and was enacted to treat children with seizure disorder. I would be surprised if this does not pass this year.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — April 22, 2014 @ 11:30 am

74. So I had a car accident where I was hit from behind about a month ago and it is still bothering me. I called to make an appointment with an ortho hoping for PT or massage, not medication. I was asked for my SS# and I said I didn’t want to give it and I was told they needed it to run a Kasper Report for drug abuse. When I told them I didn’t want DRUGS, they said they wouldn’t see me without it.

I really don’t go to Drs and don’t take any medications, is this SOP???

Comment by Sue H — April 25, 2014 @ 8:17 am

75. It is standard procedure, however I don’t know why they would if no medication was prescribed. I suggest seeking another physician. Unfortunately KASPER has many physicians, especially those that involve pain and injuries, running scared so they change their procedures to satisfy big brother.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — April 28, 2014 @ 10:03 am

76. I was in a car accident in May of 2011 that left me paralyzed and with chronic pain. I’ve been on oxycodone ever since. I got a call from my pain management clinic today saying that my KASPER report shows I received oxycontin and oxycodone from a doctor I have never visited. As a result, I was discharged from the pain management clinic. I can’t understand how this information got on my report. I’ve never even heard of this doctor. What can I do to get this off my KASPER report and get myself back into my pain management clinic?

Comment by Jason — May 15, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

77. If there are erroneous controlled substance prescription records on a KASPER report, the patient or provider should contact the dispenser to determine if the information was reported accurately. The dispenser can correct information reported in error. If the dispenser certifies that the information was reported accurately, the patient or provider can contact the Drug Enforcement and Professional Practices Branch at (502) 564-7985 to investigate the error.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — May 16, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

78. Is there any way that I could see my own kasper report to see if there is any erroneous info on it before I seek medical treatment and waste copay and insurance money just to be turned away for false information. Do we not have a right to see what is being published about us on this secret site?

Comment by Kevin w — May 30, 2014 @ 1:41 am

79. Here is the link to KASPER information. http://www.chfs.ky.gov/os/oig/KASPER.htm . I am unsure if they will give you a copy of your report, however I believe that you have a legal right to that information. Jump some hoops and let me know what you find out. Thanks for the inquiry.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — May 30, 2014 @ 10:50 am

80. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?

My site goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!

Comment by Shaun — July 10, 2014 @ 4:54 am

81. I do not post links, especially to foreign sites. That said, a guest article/blog will be reviewed and if appropriate for my site, I will consider posting. Due to the nature of this blog and legal practice, I reserve the right to block, post or amend any questions. I often take specific questions and modify them in a more generic and useful format as well as correct spelling/punctuation errors. Finally, if I believe that a question has private information, I will usually modify to remove or generalize that information. Although the site does not invoke an attorney-client relationship, I do attempt to preserve confidential information.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — July 10, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

82. Magnificent items from you, man. I have be aware your stuff previous to and you are simply too wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which wherein you are saying it. You’re making it entertaining and you still care for to stay it smart. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

Comment by google plus advertising — August 20, 2014 @ 10:58 am

83. What Is A KASPER Report?

Trackback by Wow — November 8, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

84. KASPER is abbreviation for Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting. Any “scheduled” prescription, that is a scheduled drug (all narcotics) and many other drugs are scheduled. These prescriptions are reported to central agency for all those written or filled in Kentucky. The main reason is to assure that patients are not doctor shopping or reselling prescription medication. It can be used by doctors (often by pain clinics) as well as law enforcement.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — November 10, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

85. I have had panic attacks for years, and taking Xanax for them, I used to do home health car for people but hurt my back in 2010.I have been going to a pain clinic ever since, they have me taking oxycodone, but this is my problem. I was at the courthouse the summer of 2012 when I had a panic attack, a lady who worked at the office there said I had a seizure. I have never had seizures and didn’t have one then. The courthouse lady called Frankfort and I lost my drivers licence. I have been tryin to get my licence back ever since. I keep getting denied becauce og the meds that I take,does anyone know how far the casper report. If I try to stop taking my meds, how long to you think I would have to be without my pills. Anyone have any ideas

Comment by Tamara Wallace — January 7, 2015 @ 4:41 pm

86. In order to have license restored after a seizure you need to have a physician say that you have been seizure free for 90+ days. The medication should not affect the driver’s license as the KASPER is not (should not) be available to DOT. Get note from MD, submit to DOT and see if that works.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — January 8, 2015 @ 9:10 am

87. Hello,

Does this report simply show medications that have been prescribed to a patient in the past, or is someone “flagged” if there is a violation? My PCP questioned me about something; my SSN was used to obtain my child’s post op pain meds while I was on low dose prn Xanax from my psychiatrist. I recently had an emergency and could not get prescribed pain medication. This situation requires surgery and I’m kind of afraid to have it in case I would not be prescribed pain meds postoperatively. I don’t know if it’s because of this situation that happened in 2012 or just the general reluctance of providers to prescribe narcotics. I hate feeling like a drug seeker when I have only been prescribed narcotics a few times my entire life.

Comment by Susan — February 8, 2015 @ 7:11 pm

88. The report only shows medication prescribed.There is a reluctance. I would suggest being proactive. Prior to surgery, you should discuss with your MD the problems you have had in the past with KASPER and ask him to run a report to determine if he will prescribe post-op.

Comment by Michael Bouldin — February 11, 2015 @ 9:09 am