Criminal Defense For Northern Kentucky & Cincinnati………………… THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT

Kenton County

What Happens after An Arrest in Kenton County?

If not prior, a defendant should immediately exercise their right to remain silent as soon as they are arrested or detained. If you are arrested in Covington, Taylor Mill, Erlanger, Ludlow, or anywhere else in Kenton County, you are typically taken to the Kenton County Detention Center in Covington, Kentucky.

The judge will talk to pretrial services and set a bond. A defendant should talk to pretrial services as well which will verify your name, age, address and work information. This information, together with criminal history and the charges will be considered by the Judge in setting the bond.

While the legal advice is generally to exercise your right to remain silent, giving the Court your personal information is in your best interest to having the lowest bond. Pretrial will not ask you information about your case.

If you are bailed out (post the bond), the jail will give you a notice of when to next appear in court. If you are not able to post bond, you will appear in court via video arraignment on the next business day at the District Court located at 230 Madison Ave., Courtroom 1A, Covington, Kentucky.  There are 3 judges in Kenton District Court: Easterling, Ruttle and Grothaus.

This initial appearance is called the Arraignment and is an opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty. If you are charged with a felony, the court will enter an “not guilty” plea at this time and set the case for a preliminary hearing. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you may either plead “guilty” and the court will immediately impose sentence or you may plead “not guilty” and the matter will be set for a pretrial conference or a trial.

If you do not engage an attorney prior to the Arraignment, it is wise to plead “not guilty” and seek the advice of counsel. An attorney can explain your rights and your options. A defendant can always choose to plead guilty at a later time.

An attorney can determine the likelihood of begin found not guilty, the potential defenses to the matter and negotiate the best deal possible. A defendant should make every effort to obtain counsel as early as possible in the process.

If you, or a family member, have been arrested in Covington, Ft. Mitchell, Erlanger, Ft. Wright, Elsmere or elsewhere in Kenton County, Kentucky, call Covington Criminal Lawyer Mike Bouldin immediately for assistance at 859-581-6453.

6 thoughts on “Kenton County”

  • betty says:

    if a couple both have credit card debt the cards are in their own name. they will both pay for their own credit cards when they divorce. if one gets files bankruptsy can anyone go back on the other party?

  • mbouldin says:

    Not unless it was a joint credit card. You are not liable for your spouse’s debts… unless you jointly apply for the credit.

  • defense attorney says:

    Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

    Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price? Kudos, I appreciate it!

  • mbouldin says:

    Contact Tom O’Leary at http://www.the-attorneys-atm.com/ for information on hosting as well as increasing web traffic. Tom is great and generally only works with 1 attorney in each specialty area in each geographic region. I think he hosts through HostGator, but not positive. He is very affordable.

  • Amanda says:

    My child’s father punched me I put charges through the County attorney’s office. They finally found him to make an arrest and he pled not guilty and was able to bond out. He has pre-trial conference tomorrow do I need to be present for this court date?

  • Michael Bouldin says:

    Your appearance at the pretrial is not mandatory. I would suggest sending an email to the county attorney’s victim’s advocate. This will tell them that you DO want to follow through, that you don’t want contact, and inform them of any medical bills resulting from the assault. You will definitely have to be present for the trial as I assume that you’d like him to be found guilty. Also, if you want a restraining order, you need to follow through and/or file an EPO and request a Domestic Violence Restraining Order.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *