Posted on June 8, 2017
in General Criminal Law Issues - Northern KY State Crimes in Northern Kentucky
In Kentucky, possession of narcotics is almost always a felony charge. Most people arrested are charged with PCS, Possession of Controlled Substance, first offense. This is codified as KRS 218A.1415. If you have been charged, you shoudl hire an attorney. For consultation, call 581-MIKE; 859-581-6453.
Under PCS statute in Kentucky states:
- (1) A person is guilty of possession of a controlled substance in the first degree when he or she knowingly and unlawfully possesses:
- (a) A controlled substance that is classified in Schedules I or II and is a narcotic drug;
- (b) A controlled substance analogue;
- (c) Methamphetamine;
- (d) Lysergic acid diethylamide;
- (e) Phencyclidine;
- (f) Gamma hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), including its salts, isomers, salts of isomers, and analogues; or
- (g) Flunitrazepam, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers.
- (2) Possession of a controlled substance in the first degree is a Class D felony subject to the following provisions:
- (a) The maximum term of incarceration shall be no greater than three (3) years, notwithstanding KRS Chapter 532;
- (b) For a person’s first or second offense under this section, he or she may be subject to a period of: 1. Deferred prosecution pursuant to KRS 218A.14151; or 2. Presumptive probation;
- (c) Deferred prosecution under paragraph (b) of this subsection shall be the preferred alternative for a first offense; and
- (d) If a person does not enter a deferred prosecution program for his or her first or second offense, he or she shall be subject to a period of presumptive probation, unless a court determines the defendant is not eligible for presumptive probation as defined in KRS 218A.010.
If you have been charged with or arrested for Possession of a Controlled Substance, you are facing serious felony charges and need an experienced attorney. For consultation in Northern Kentucky, call Michael Bouldin at 859-581-6453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.